General Manager - Arlington Theatre/Event Center
Arlington Theatre – Santa Barbara, CA
The Arlington Theatre was built in 1931 and designed in the Mission Revival style reminiscent of a colonial Spanish town. This theatre is a legendary, historic landmark with seating for over 2,000 guests and is home to first run movies, live performance, and major film festival events.
The General Manager is responsible for the overall management, promotion, and operation of the facility, including booking, private event sales, P&L/financial management, marketing, staffing, production maintenance, and all related operations.
What we look for in a General Manager
- Motivated, achievement-orientated individual with the ability to positively connect with guests, employees, and corporate office personnel.
- Utilizes knowledge and experience to easily recognize opportunities to improve the operations of the theatre.
- Passion for and commitment to the theatrical/live event industry.
- Takes pride in providing exceptional services to meet all of the needs of our guests.
- Thrives working in a fast-paced, rewarding environment.
- Passion for the preservation of a historical theatre of which upkeep and continued restoration is paramount.
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Handle day-to-day tasks such as performing opening and closing procedures, cash handling and performing nightly and weekly inventories.
- Assist in creating an environment that consistently provides high levels of customer service.
- Resolve guest concerns regarding service, film, concession products, facility condition, overall experience and more.
- Proficient in all the functions of the POS system.
- Identify system improvements and implement changes with approval of the VP of Operations and/or Director of IT.
- Management of all marketing materials as directed by the VP of Marketing.
- Handle floor operations such as allocating resources effectively, recognizing and anticipating problems, and reacting quickly to provide solutions.
- Complete reports accurately and in a timely manner.
- Accomplish human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orientating, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and when necessary, disciplining employees.
- Communicate job expectations to staff -- plan, monitor, appraise, and reviews job performance and enforces policies and procedures.
- Control costs by ordering proper amount of product according to business levels and minimize waste (spoilage/damage).
- Ensure the highest quality products and achieve accurate product inventories.
- Ensure outstanding on-screen presentation by diligently checking the operation and maintenance of the digital projection equipment.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and healthy environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures and overseeing stage operations. Comply with all legal regulations.
- Manage, coordinate, and respond in a timely manner to all requests from the corporate office.
- Delegate projects and assignments to others and follow up on the performance and completion of tasks.
- Demonstrate an ownership to all the responsibilities and operations of the theatre
Live Event Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare rental quotes for live events. This includes, but is not limited to staffing, fees, supplies, equipment rentals, security, and union stage managers/crew costs.
- Handle calendar event tracking and all functions to set up live events in the ticketing system.
- Ensuring the truck plan for unloading/loading equipment is followed in accordance with City requirements.
- Coordinate all operations between rental clients and various in-house staffing and vendors.
- Manage union stage employees.
- Supervise all staff during live events (ticketing, security, ushers, caterers, backstage cleaning, etc.).
- Approve all aspects of the live event prior to the day of the event.
- Delegate effectively to ensure the entire operation is running smoothly while being accessible during event to resolve issues that might arise.
- Analyze each event’s performance and prepare a rental settlement for clients and any additional reporting for the corporate office.
- Must possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be a team player and have good leadership skills.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Hours to include nights, weekends, and holidays.
Minimum 6 years in customer service.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a manager in a hospitality related business.
- Experience in a live event environment preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office.
- Strong organizational planning and time management skills.
About the Company
Los Angeles based Metropolitan Theatre Corporation has been a privately held company owned by the Corwin family since 1923. Metropolitan currently operates a diverse collection of historic properties and state-of-the-art multiplexes among its 16 theatres in California, Colorado, Idaho and Utah.
Salary Range: $75,000 - $95,000 per year
The Company offers a competitive benefits package that includes Medical/Dental insurance, Vacation, and 401K.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, please include resume and cover letter.
Click above or email to email@example.com